Saturday, January 16, 2010

CNC Router

Well it's a new month and I have a new project! I have always wanted a CNC router in my garage because you can build just about anything with one. For those unfamilier with what a CNC router does it's a machine that takes something you have drawn on the computer and cuts it out using a wood router that is moved left and right (which is called the X axis), forward and backwards (which is called the Y axis) and up and down (which is called the Z axis) all controlled by a computer. It can cut out 2D shapes as well as 3D shapes and the best part is it just plugs into your computer where a printer normally would.



This is a CAD drawing I made of what my machine is going to look like.  One of the most important parts of a CNC router is the linear bearing and motion systems. I am using 16 and 20 mm round linear rails and bearings to support the machine and stepper motors driving 16mm Ballscrews for movement.  The spindle motor will be a 2 HP Dewalt router that will have a remote speed controller.



Here is where it all started, a 2' square plate of 1/4" 6061 aluminum.  My Z axis is going to be made out of aluminum and the rest of the machine will be steel welded together.



Here I started to cut the parts out, I needed this small square and then a larger rectangle that will make the frame for the Z axis which will move the router up and down.



Here is everything after I drilled some holes and mounted the linear bearings, ballscrew and stepper motor.  I used a Lovejoy coupler to attach the 1/4" motor shaft to the ballscrew.



Here it is from another angle, the Dewalt router will mount to the smaller top plate.  There is 6" that the router will be able to move up and down.  Up next is to get a bunch of steel and build the rest of the frame out of it!



Here is a random video of a CNC router in action and below it are some random pictures I stole from the internet on things you can build with one.









3 comments:

  1. I'm excited to make furniture and stuff with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That thing is super awesome. I'm pumped to see it in action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome blog you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any discussion boards that cover the same topics talked about in this article? I’d really like to be a part of online community where I can get comments from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Cheers! cnc turning

    ReplyDelete